For a company to last 20 years, let alone 100, it’s clear that Chester Avenue Brake is doing something right.
Today, Kern Schools is the largest financial institution headquartered in Kern County, with approximately 150,000 Members and more than $1.4 billion in assets.
What started as a one woman secretarial and mailing business back in 1963 has developed into a local mainstay business that also sells printing nationally. From the very beginning, Hall Letter Shop was a printing and mailing company, even when it wasn’t popular for printing companies to provide mailing services. For 53 years, this company has grown with the community.
Come of the best meats in town, Wood-Dale Market is an old-fashioned meat market that has been fully operating since 1955 off of Stine Road, in between Belle Terrace and Stockdale Highway. Owner Israel Vasquez, who manages to keep that old-fashioned feeling while providing great customer service, has operated Wood-Dale for the past 12 years and previously worked in the grocery industry for over 25 years.
Since 1962, when he opened Robby’s Nursery, Harold E. “Robby” Robinson began making Bakersfield a more beautiful place. Robinson was an independent landscaper when he moved to Bakersfield as a young man and, after establishing an excellent reputation with his services around town, he and his wife, Joan, purchased a nursery located at South H Street and Planz Road.
In September of 1951, a legacy began in Kern County. Under the authority of the Dominican Sisters of Tacoma, Washington, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School opened its doors to children in grades kindergarten through third with the intention of providing quality education while fostering faith in each student.